It’s FRIDAY! And, because it’s Friday, (and because I love you) I’m sharing my new favorite thing with you!
QUINOA FRUIT SALAD.
This recipe is so gosh darn easy it’ll make you cry. You just toss together fruit and quinoa and honey and lemon zest and you’re DONE. For real. But, there is one v important rule you must follow. Or actually, a couple:
- No apples or bananas allowed. The worst thing about fruit salads is that they ALWAYS contain apples and/or bananas and I personally think that is just terrible because they get mushy and brown and the texture throws me off. I love both of these fruits very much, but not in a fruit salad. My personal suggestions? Start with a base of blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries, and then add on from there what you have on hand or what is in season, like pineapple, mango, star fruit, kiwi, peaches, or grapes, just to give you some ideas!
- Very unfortunately, this salad doesn’t keep too well. All of the juices sink down to the bottom of the bowl and make everything mushy, so I recommend making it right before serving and eating it all right up then and there (don’t worry, it isn’t hard).
I love this salad because not only does it taste AMAZING – honey, lemony, sweet, springy-summery goodness – but it’s super good for you. WIN.
As you can probably tell, I really enjoyed styling the bowl – and you can, too! (How tacky did that sound?! Hahahaha) It’s so simple. Just arrange the fruit in pretty patterns on top, garnish it with mint and a little extra lemon zest, and you have a salad that is just as beautiful and impressive as it is delicious.
I have my Aunt Eileen to thank for this gorgeous bowl – isn’t it so lovely?! She gave it to me and said, “From one beautiful dish hoarder to another.” She gets me 🙂
Be sure to let me know if you guys try this recipe!! I love it so much, and I think you will, too. Have a great weekend!!! ?
- 1 c cooked quinoa
- 6 oz blueberries
- 6 oz blackberries
- 1 lb strawberries, sliced
- other assorted fruits to taste, such as oranges, kiwi, mango, peaches, star fruit, etc.
- ¼ c honey
- zest of one lemon
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey and lemon zest. I like to microwave the honey for about 20 seconds so it's runnier and easier to mix.
- Gently fold together quinoa and fruit in a large bowl, and then drizzle all of the dressing over top. Toss to combine and serve immediately.
- Note: this salad does not keep well in the refrigerator, so I recommend making it right before serving.