You guys, I haven’t posted over on this Et Cetera page in awhile and we’re changing that today! There are some exciting non-food related things coming up in life over the next couple months and I’m so excited to blog about those on here. Life has really been quite ordinary lately, but we CAN and SHOULD find joy in the ordinary, day-to-day moments. Right? Right. So here are some things that have been on my mind lately/things I’ve been loving:
- The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd. Absolutely LOVING this book. For some reason, all of my favorite books are about black people & female power (ex. The Help & The Secret Life of Bees) and this one totally falls into that category. I love it. This might sound really silly, but one of my favorite things is when Brig and I just snuggle in bed or sit on the couch together and read for an hour or two. We both really love to read. Brig & I went to Barnes & Noble last night (we’re like two kids in a candy store at that place) & I ordered two books that should be arriving sometime next week – Bittersweet by Shauna Niequist and More Than the Tattooed Mormon by Al Carraway – and bought another two – Food: A Love Story by Jim Gaffigan and Rising Strong by Brené Brown. SO MANY BOOKS! I am so dang excited to read them all. We dream of having a gigantic library in our future house someday. Gotta start collecting now, right?! What books have you loved/are you loving at the moment??
- TOAST! So random, but Brig and I are big toast people. It’s our go-to snack. Him – medium well, lots of salted butter; Me – well-done, and with any of the following:
- avocado slices + cumin + s & p
- a ridiculous amount of salted butter + honey + cinnamon
- pumpkin butter + chopped hazelnuts
- unsalted almond butter + thin banana slices + dark chocolate chips + 1/4 t turbinado sugar –> current FAVE!!!
- My sister-in-law Charity is the absolute sweetest person alive and gave me the kindest shoutout on her fun blog, which really made my entire week (or month). It has sent my page views through the ROOF for the past couple of days and so if you’re here from Charity’s blog, hi! Thanks for stopping by! (And please stay for awhile, we have buckets of fun over here 😉 )
- SO many awesome autumn recipes going around the interwebs lately, here are a few of my faves:
- This pumpkin cinnamon raisin french toast bake
- These orange salted pistachio chocolate chunk cookies
- These salted chocolate pecan pie bars
- These green chile butternut squash & turkey enchiladas
- This persimmon caprese salad
- This farro, butternut squash, sausage, & dried cherry stuffing
- This pear cake w/ salted caramel
- This gooey cinnamon apple cobbler
- These pumpkin pie parfaits
- These seven layer muffins
- This spicy cauliflower power bowl
- This quinoa veggie stuffing
- This thanksgiving salad w/ wild rice & lemon dressing
- Thanksgiving BRUNCH?! Um, YEAH. Yes. Yes please. My mind has been blown. Considering definitely making this a tradition for the rest of my life.
- How One Group is Working to Prevent Youth Suicides Across the Country. “Their friend never let on that he was struggling, they said, an unfortunately common occurrence with mental health issues.” Be a little more kind, my friends. A little more aware of the people around you. Ask your loved ones how they’re really doing, and be sure to ask yourself that question, too. There is no shame in mental illness, and there is no shame in seeking help.
- We saw the Hunger Games premiere last night! I’ll be honest, I wasn’t super excited for it because Part 1 was incredibly boring and I feel just kind of done with the Hunger Games series, but it was actually really good. AND (GASP) I stayed awake the ENTIRE time. I honestly am pretty sure that’s a record for me for a midnight premiere, haha!
Anyway, that’s all for today. Love you, friends!