All the goodness of classic magic cookie bars (also known as hello dolly bars or 7 layer bars) without the dairy! These magic cookie bars have a chewy graham cracker crust and decadent layers of sweetened condensed coconut milk, dark chocolate, coconut, and pecans!
Happy Monday! How was your weekend?! We explored the South End, which is one of my veeeery favorite neighborhoods in Boston, and ate pizza from The Upper Crust – soooo good! We are SERIOUSLY enjoying the food scene around here. Along with my love for cooking, eating out is actually a huge hobby of mine, too, and I love finding new eateries to try. It’s almost overwhelming how many there are out here, and all so good, too! So much food to eat and so little time! 😉 I post about all of our eating out adventures on my Instagram, so be sure to follow along there!
I’m so excited to share these dairy-free magic cookie bars with you today. They are SO good. Magic cookie bars have been one of my favorite treats ever since I was little – I love all the texture and the thick, cookie-like graham cracker crust. We used to get them from our favorite local bakery, which, luckily, my older sister worked at – so we got lots of leftovers 🙂
It wasn’t until recently that I learned that you can buy sweetened condensed coconut milk, which is what I used in place of regular sweetened condensed milk in this recipe. It’s a great dairy-free swap and I’m excited to try it out in other recipes. I can always find it at my local Whole Foods!
Since I know many of my readers have issues with gluten, these magic cookie bars can DEFINITELY be made gluten-free! All you need to do is use gluten-free graham crackers for the crust and you’re set.
I hope you LOVE these magic cookie bars as much as we do – they are sure to be a hit!
Adapted from NYT Cooking
- 20 sheets of graham crackers (gluten free, if needed!)
- ¼ c + 2 T coconut oil, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 can sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 10 oz dark chocolate chips (I use the ones by Enjoy Life Foods)
- 1 c chopped pecans
- 1 c unsweetened, flaked coconut
- flaky sea salt, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350. Line an 8x8 or 9x9 pan with aluminum foil.
- In a food processor, pulse graham crackers until they reach a fine crumb consistency. Add in the coconut oil and pulse until well combined. Add in the egg and pulse again until thoroughly incorporated.
- Firmly press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Pour the sweetened condensed coconut milk over the crust, followed by half of the chocolate chips and pecans. Then, sprinkle with all of the coconut. Follow this with the rest of the chocolate chips and pecans.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then let cool completely. Sprinkle with a little bit of salt. For a cleaner cut, I recommend refrigerating these before serving.