So I have to tell you about this salad.
Over Christmas break in Chicago, Brig and I went on a date to a restaurant (no, this is not the incident where Sophie threw up on the table – maybe a story for another post? hahaha) called Wildfire in Lincolnshire, IL. The food was soooo delicious. I ordered this spinach & kale salad that was loaded with parmesan cheese, chopped hard boiled eggs, salty, roasted pepitas, and massaged with a lemon dressing. It was everything I ever wanted in a kale salad and MORE! And it came with the most perfectly moist salmon (which I can NEVER achieve at home, I am forever overcooking my fish – help!). I was in love.
I desperately wanted to find a way to recreate this salad at home! And though it’s definitely not identical, it’s enough to satisfy my cravings for Wildfire’s spinach and kale salad in Massachusetts ❤️ It’s SO simple but wildly delicious. The flavors and textures combine to make a salad I genuinely find addicting. Vegetables, addicting, what?! I know. Just trust.
The lemon tahini dressing is largely adapted from Minimalist Baker – I love the tanginess of lemon mixed with the nuttiness of tahini. It’s bright and refreshing, and oil-free!
Because kale is so thick and hearty, this salad can last really well in the fridge – up to 3 days! Though I do like it best fresh.
- 6 oz washed & chopped fresh kale
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, diced
- ¼ c roasted, salted pepitas
- ¼ c freshly grated parmesan cheese
- For the dressing:
- ¼ c tahini
- 2 T warm water
- 3 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Maple syrup or honey, to sweeten (optional) (I like it without any sweetener, but adjust to your preferences!)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients, seasoning to taste.
- Combine kale, eggs, pepitas, and parmesan cheese in a large bowl. Dress with desired amount of dressing and toss well. Keeps for up to 3 days in the fridge.