This german chocolate granola is a chocolate lovers DREAM! It is packed with toasted coconut, pecans, oats, and of course – chocolate – inspired by the classic german chocolate frosting.
I don’t make granola as often as I’d care to admit – and that is in large part due to the fact that I’m a very loyal customer to the Purely Elizabeth brand – I mean, have you tried her granolas?! I’m obsessed. I always have a couple bags in my pantry at the ready.
I made this granola last week when I was at my mom’s house in Chicago and although I’ve been making this recipe for years now, it was well past time I brought it to you guys! It’s chocolatey, but still wholesome – dairy-free, gluten-free, and refined-sugar free. Still delicious, though – stay with me! It takes 30 minutes start to finish, which is awesome, and I like to store mine in the refrigerator so that the melty chocolate forms these big, gorgeous, crunchy clumps.
There’s a generous amount of salt in the recipe because you KNOW I love that sweet & salty action! If you’re not as big on that, you can reduce it by half. I hope you guys try this german chocolate granola and LOVE it – it’s one of my very favorites!
- 3 c gluten-free rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1 c raw pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 c flaked, unsweetened coconut
- ⅓ c cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 T chia seeds
- 2 T raw cacao nibs
- 2 T coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 t fine sea salt
- 1 t pure vanilla extract
- ½ c pure maple syrup (can sub honey)
- ¼ c melted coconut oil
- ½ c dairy-free dark chocolate chips (I love Enjoy Life Foods)
- Preheat oven to 325. Whisk together melted coconut oil, vanilla, and maple syrup. Set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients (except for the chocolate chips) in a large bowl and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Spread granola out on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake the granola for 20 minutes, then carefully give it a stir. Bake for another 5 minutes, then take out of the oven and place the baking sheet on a wire rack. Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips on the hot granola and let them get all melty, then gently stir. Let cool completely, then store in the refrigerator.