HOOOooooooWWwwW is it September?! Summer is gone and there’s already crunchy leaves outside (!!!) and that all went so dang fast.
I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t suuuper excited for fall, though.
I am totally that girl that is super into pumpkin flavored everything & scarves & sweaters & boots, so….bring it, fall. I’m ready.
I’m really excited to be living in a place that has regular seasons again. And I mean, noooo one does fall like Boston – the leaves are just unreal & that crisp, cool feeling in the air is straight magic!! It literally gives me the happiest chills – and not from being cold 😉
I feel like this salad is my last farewell to summer. This has definitely been the summer of figs for me – just in the past few months I’ve fallen in love with this fruit & HAVE to buy a little basket from Whole Foods every week! They are so sweet and juicy aaand, pro tip: they are INSANE when you drizzle them with a little cashew butter. Wowowowow. I will be so sad when their season ends! I’ve also had quite the love affair with blueberries this summer, too. I put them in almost every smoothie I drink because they’re low in sugar and packed with fiber.
Other faves going on in this salad: toasted pecans for crunch & healthy fats (I swear I can’t have a salad without some sort of nut!), feta or goat cheese (because….cheese, duh!), and stovetop sourdough croutons (toasted in some olive oil and they are 100000% addicting.)
The blueberry balsamic vinaigrette is TO-DIE-FOR delicious & so ridiculously easy. Just three ingredients – olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and blueberry preserves (I love the one by Bonne Maman!) 3 tablespoons of each, a shake in a jar, and you’re ready to drizzle it all over everything in your life.
Although this salad looks and sounds kinda fancy, there are less than 10 ingredients & it doesn’t take more than 20 minutes to throw together. Now that’s my kinda recipe!
- 5 oz spring mix
- 6 fresh figs, washed & quartered
- ½ c fresh blueberries
- ¼ c crumbled feta or goat cheese
- ¼ c pecans, roughly chopped (I like to quickly toast mine over the stove on low heat for extra flavor!)
- 1 heaping cup sourdough bread chunks
- 1 T olive oil
- For the dressing:
- 3 T balsamic vinegar
- 3 T olive oil
- 3 T wild blueberry preserves
- For the croutons, add olive oil and bread chunks to a pan on low heat over the stove and toast until lightly golden brown, stirring frequently. I like to add a little salt and pepper, too! Let cool.
- For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a jar or container with a lid and shake until thoroughly mixed.
- Toss all salad ingredients together and dress just before serving.