I know I say this every time I post a recipe….but I am SO SO SO EXCITED!!!! These very well might be the tastiest cupcakes in the universe. They have candy cane joe-joe bottoms (which, if you don’t live near a Trader Joe’s, is a candy cane “oreo”), a super moist, rich chocolate cake base, and a gorgeously fluffy peppermint white chocolate buttercream. They are absolute perfection.
The chocolate cupcake base is one I developed after like 65 million chocolate cake tests and I use it for every single chocolate cupcake I make. It turns out perfectly every time and is so stinking good!
I’m also really in love with the frosting. The second time I made these cupcakes, I accidentally burned the white chocolate for the frosting but tried to use it anyway (ugh, why??? haha), but then there were burned, brown chunks throughout the frosting, so I added some cookie crumbs into it to try & hide them, but then the texture got WEIRD and wouldn’t pipe right. Bah. So I remade them the next day, *didn’t* burn the white chocolate, and put the crumbs on top 😉 Also, with minty frostings, sometimes I think it just tastes like toothpaste, so I tried really hard to make this not taste like toothpaste 🙂 haha!
If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s near you to purchase Candy Cane Joe-Joe’s….well, first of all, I’m SO sorry. Secondly, you can totally just use a regular oreo or even mint oreo? The flavor will be slightly different but alas – better than nothing, right?
Happy baking, friends – I am SO EXCITED for you to make these cupcakes this holiday season! They are sure to be a hit.
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- ½ c unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ t fine sea salt
- 1 t baking soda
- ½ t baking powder
- ½ c white sugar
- ½ c dark brown sugar
- ½ c canola oil
- 1 c low-fat buttermilk (no substitutions)
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- For the frosting:
- 1 c unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ½ t peppermint extract
- 4 oz white chocolate, chopped (bar, not chips)
- ¼ c heavy cream (no substitutions)
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners, and place a joe-joe in the bottom of each liner.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together sugars, oil, vanilla, and eggs. Add in the buttermilk and whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet into the dry and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into each cupcake liner about ¾ full. Bake for about 17 minutes. You may test doneness with a toothpick, or, when pressed on the top, they will spring back just a little. Let cool.
- For the frosting, melt the white chocolate and heavy cream together in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in small increments, like 15 seconds, until smooth & the chocolate is thoroughly melted. Let cool COMPLETELY. You need the chocolate to be at room temperature, and no warmer.
- Cream butter in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer for 3-4 minutes, until light and creamy. Add in the powdered sugar, pinch of salt, peppermint extract, and white chocolate mixture. Beat until fluffy. Pipe onto cupcakes as desired!