Good morning and happy Wednesday! I’ve been wanting to create more healthy dinner/main entree recipes for you guys because the “what should I make for dinner tonight?” struggle is REAL for all of us! So, I have a really very super delicious dinner/lunch/snack/midnight-food-run meal for you today –> roasted broccoli & chickpea pesto pasta ? ? It’s naturally vegan & gluten-free – and I promise that those people in your life that are skeptical of those two things will have NO idea what’s missing 😉
Reasons why this pasta is great include but are not limited to:
- it’s RIDICULOUSLY EASY. Make pesto, roast broccoli, boil pasta. Mix together. D-o-n-e.
- it’s RIDICULOUSLY DELICIOUS. I mean, have you ever had pesto pasta before? DUH it’s good.
- it’s RIDICULOUSLY HEALTHY.
- #1 – Chickpea pasta. Have you tried it?! The texture is totally spot on and the flavor is ? ?. I love the Banza brand. It’s the pasta I eat 99% of the time now! #2 – Roasted broccoli, aka crack. I know there’s a lot of broccoli haters out there – but have you ever tried roasting it?! With just a little olive or avocado oil, salt, & some high heat, this vegetable is transformed into a crispy, salty DREAM. So addicting. (Seriously – I just called broccoli addicting! I’m not crazy.) #3 – Easy vegan basil pesto. Oh yeah, remember this?! We’re totally using it in our recipe today because it’s bonkers good. If you’re in a pinch, store-bought pesto will work, too! But keep in mind that most store-bought pestos are not vegan (and not as delicious 😉 )
I hope you try this recipe and love it!! Just yesterday I had some of the leftovers for lunch – I mixed in some fresh diced tomato, topped it with an egg, and it was SO satisfying. Maybe sounds weird…but don’t knock it ’til you try it 🙂
- 8 oz chickpea pasta shells (I use Banza)
- ½ c vegan basil pesto
- 1 large crown (or 2 small crowns) broccoli, rinsed, dried, & chopped
- olive or avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Lightly grease a sheet pan with olive or avocado oil, then add the broccoli. Add another couple tablespoons of oil to the pan with a good pinch of salt and mix around until the broccoli is evenly coated & distributed across the pan.
- Roast the broccoli for 20-25 minutes, until it reaches your preferred level of doneness. Personally, I like mine crispy & a little bit charred - so I leave it in a little longer.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions & drain.
- Immediately transfer the cooked pasta to a bowl and toss with the pesto, evenly coating the noodles. Stir in the broccoli and serve immediately!