Happy New Year, friends!
Man, 2017 was a wild ride. We began the year with the birth of our daughter, Sophia, and she has by far been the highlight of the past twelve months. She is so full of light and joy, and we are super excited to celebrate her first birthday in just a couple weeks! We’re planning on throwing a pretty epic celebration 🙂 In 2017 we also moved from Texas to Boston, I turned my blog/Instagram into a business & started making money, Brig started dental school, and he was awarded an Air Force scholarship! Speaking of airplanes…Soph and I traveled on 13 airplanes, with the last one being the worst yet – ha! The flu and air travel is a bad combination 😉
With all of the good things we experienced this past year, we also had our fair share of major personal struggles. With 2017 ending on some pretty hard notes, I am SO looking forward to a new year. I have set several goals and intentions, and thought I’d share a few here!
- Learn how to make sourdough. I am SO excited about this one!! I received a dutch oven for Christmas and Emilie Raffa’s book, Artisan Sourdough Made Simple. I’m gonna get my starter going this week, with bread adventures soon to follow. I’ll keep you posted!
- Eat a vegetable with every meal. Simple, I know. But a worthy goal, I think, and so achievable! Just a simple step to eat healthfully and mindfully without being crazy. I dig.
- Be more present with Sophie – and stop multitasking. As a stay-at-home mom that also works from home, it is a major struggle to be present. I’m working on getting as much done as possible before Sophie wakes up, while she naps, and after she goes to sleep so that while she’s awake, I can be as present as possible. Inevitably, work still has to get done during the day, but I’m just trying harder to be more conscious of how I’m spending my time – and especially making sure that she doesn’t always see me on my phone or computer.
- Date my husband. After having a baby this past year, Brig and I put dating each other on the baaaaack burner! With his busy schedule and the struggle of finding a babysitter I feel comfortable with (#anxiousmomprobs), actual dates have been few and far between. We’ve decided that what’s achievable for us is one date per month without Sophie, with weekly dates + Sophie, or a movie date in the living room while she’s sleeping. Similar with my goal to be more present with Sophie, I need to be more intentional about my relationship with my husband! This past year I honestly feel like many times, I put Sophie first. Which is necessary, I think, to an extent, especially in the early stages…but I have to remember that my first and most important responsibility is maintaining a strong marriage.
- Advocate for myself. Speak up and speak out. Share my opinions and beliefs. Believe in my worth as a wife, mom, person, and business owner. Know my worth and accept nothing less. Say YES to the things that I’m passionate about and NO to the things that will drain me.
I am so excited for another year of personal and professional growth. I am looking forward to growing The Foodwright, developing more recipes that you will LOVE, and eating lots of great food. If you have any specific content/recipe requests, write me a comment down below or shoot me an email! I love to hear from you guys!
How was your 2017? What are you looking forward to most in 2018?